Prof. Luigi Tesio
Department of neurorehabilitation science
Neuromotor Rehabilitation Unit
- Secondary School Diploma in Classical Studies, “G.Carducci”, State Secondary School of Milan, 1971.
- Degree in Medicine, cum laude, at the University of Milan, 1977.
- Specialisation in Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, cum laude, at the University of Milan, 1980.
TRAINING AND CAREER:
- University research assistant at the Institute of Human Physiology, University of Milan.
- Physiatrist assistant at the Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Service of the “Pio Albergo Trivulzio” Geriatric Rehabilitation Institute of Milan.
- Vice-head, Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine Service, Division of Orthopaedics, at the San Raffaele Hospital, National Research Hospital (IRCCS) in Milan
- Head, Unit of Rehabilitation, Salvatore Maugeri Foundation, Institute for Treatment and Research (IRCCS) - Work and Rehabilitation Clinic, Pavia.
- Head Physiatrist, Medical Director of the Department of Neurorehabilitation Science - Neuromotor rehabilitation clinical unit and of the neuromotor rehabilitation research laboratory, Istituto Auxologico Italiano (acknowledged as a National Research Hospital - IRCCS), Milan.
- Full professor of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, the Università degli Studi (State University) of Milan.
Head of the Depèartment of Neurorehabilitation Sciences, including a Clinical Unit (about 50 inpatients and 16 outpatients/day) and a Research Laboratory. The clinical activity is focuses on patients with impairments and disability of neurological origin (cerebrovascular diseases, sequelae of neurosurgical operations, inflammatory and degenerative diseases of the central and the peripheral nervous system). A minority of patietns suffer from impairment of orthopaedic origin (mostly knee and hip joint replacement).
PUBLICATIONS ND RESEARCH ACTIVITY:
Prof. Luigi Tesio authored over 100 full papers in journals indexed in MEDLINE and Science Citation Index, and more than 160 works, overall, including articles and book chapters. He is a member of the Editorial Board of Am J Phys Med Rehabil. J Appl Meas, Clin Rehabil., Eur J Phys Rehabil Med, J Rehabil Med, Int J Rehabil Res.
His research activities are focussed on:
- Neurophysiology and biomechanics of motor control in health and disease
- Exercise techniques in rehabilitation medicine
- Gait and posture analysis
- Psychometrics and statistics for outcome assessment in rehabilitation
- Epidemiology of disability and cost-effectiveness studies in rehabilitation
Full Professor of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Medical School, Postgraduate Schools in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine , and Neurology; Master Degrees of Physiotherapy and Orthotics and Prosthetics, University of Milan
Certified teacher, European Board of Physical and Rehabiltiation Medicine (www.euro-prm.org)
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATIONS:
- Two missions (1990 and 2001) as an expert at the Indian Spinal Injury Center, New Delhi, of behalf of AISPO, Italian Association for Solidarity among Peoples (project preparation) and on behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (project verification).
- Mission to the Royal Jordan University of Amman on behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Directorate General for Co-operation and Development (preparation of the educational co-operation project for the Faculty of Rehabilitation Sciences building to be constructed).
- Collaboration to various European and national multicentre research projects.