Prof. Giancarlo Roviaro
Professor Giancarlo Roviaro graduated from the University of Padova in 1970, where he specialized in General Surgery and Thoracic Surgery.
He began his university career in Padova, working as Intern, Contract Staff Member and Teaching Assistant.
In 1979 he moved to Milan and in 1982 was nominated Associate Professor of Surgery.
In 1990 the Board of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery appointed him Director of Clinical Surgery at San Giuseppe Hospital, Milan, a position he held until 2003 when he was nominated Director of Clinical Surgery 1 at the state university, Polyclinic University Hospital (Mangiagalli and Regina Elena), Milan.
Prof. Roviaro's clinical work began in the years at the Padova Polyclinic and later at the S. Paolo, S. Giuseppe and Milan Polyclinic hospitals.
From 1990 to the present he has personally presided over more than 50,000 surgical interventions, including over 10,000 using modern minimally invasive laparoscopic and thoracoscopic techniques.
In the early 90s, ha carried out the world's first major thoracoscopic interventions on the lungs and mediastinum.
Over the years he has given demonstrations of techniques at various surgical centres and presented the results of his work at numerous national and international congresses.
He is the author of over 500 publications and numerous contributions to Italian and international journals, and is a reviewer for numerous scientific periodicals.
He is a member of many national and international societies and associations, including the American College of Surgeons (ACS), the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP), the European Surgical Association (ESA), the European Association for Endoscopic Surgery (EAES), the New York Academy of Science, the European Association for Cardio- Thoracic Surgery (EACT), the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, the Society of Thoracic Surgeons ( STS) ,the American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS),the Italian Society of Surgeons, etc.
PRESENT POSITION HELD:
- Full Professor of Surgery
- Director of Clinical Surgery 1 at the state university of Milan, Polyclinic University Hospital
- Directorof the Department of Surgical Science, State University, Milan
- Director, Surgery Department, Specialty Surgery and Transplants, Polyclinic University Hospital (Mangiagalli and Regina Elena).
- Director of the School of Specialization in General Surgery and Emergency Surgery.
- Regular teacher of the Course in Clinical and Emergency Surgery for the degree course in medicine and surgery.
- Director of the Master's Course in Home Health Assistance
- Teacher at the schools of Specialization in General Surgery, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Orthopaedics and Traumathology.
- Expert member of the High Council of Health
- Memberof the Technical-Scientific Committee, National Tumour Institute, Milan