Dr. Marco Stramba-Badiale
Doctor and researcher.
Medical Director of the Geriatric-Cardiovascular Department
Cardiologist, Geriatrician, Physiatrist
Rehabilitation Medicine Unit and General Medicine Unit specialising in Geriatrics.
Dr. Marco Stramba-Badiale contributed to the preparation of the SPREAD Guidelines for the prevention and treatment of stroke and was a member of the Ministry of Health Task Force on cerebrovascular diseases.
He received numerous funds from the Ministry of Health for research work, is involved in the international clinical trials on the prevention and treatment of cerebrovascular diseases.
In 2002 Dr. Stramba-Badiale was a member of the European Society of Cardiology Task Force to prepare the Guidelines for Interpretation of the Neonatal ECG, he contributed to the foundation of the European Society for the Study and Prevention of Infant Death and to the organisation of the VII SIDS International Conference in 2002. In 2005 Dr. Stramba-Badiale organised the Conference on cardiovascular diseases in women for the European Society of Cardiology, of which he was the Chairman and the first author of the final document and in 2006 he participated in the European Society of Cardiology Task Force and in the International Menopause Society Task Force on managing the cardiovascular risk in women after menopause.
In addition, in 2007 he participated in the preparation of the guidelines on cardiovascular diseases and diabetes for the European Society of Cardiology and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. From 2007 to 2010 Dr. Stramba-Badiale was a member of the Advisory Board of the Euroheart study on cardiovascular risk in women, financed by the European Union and he prepared the final document.
Dr. Stramba-Badiale was a member of the Regional Technical Table on Appropriateness in Medicine, Lombardy Region from 2010 to 2012 and is a member of the Lombardy Region Priority Assessment and Conflicts of Interest Unit from 2013 to the present day.
ACADEMIC STUDIES AND AREAS OF SPECIALISATION:
- 2012 Specialisation in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
- 1994 Specialisation in Geriatrics
- 1993 Ph.D. in Cardiovascular Physiopathology
- 1986 Specialisation in Cardiology, cum laude
- 1984 Degree in Medicine and Surgery, cum laude
- 1977 Secondary School Diploma in Scientific Studies.
TRAINING AND CAREER:
- From 2010 to the present day: Medical Director of the Cardiovascular and Geriatric Department of the Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Institute for Treatment and Research (I.R.C.C.S.) of Milan.
- From 2008 to the present day: Medical Director of the Experimental Rehabilitation and Cerebrovascular Medicine Research Laboratory of the Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Institute for Treatment and Research (I.R.C.C.S.) of Milan.
- From 2007 to the present day: Medical Director of the Rehabilitation Medicine Unit of the San Luca Hospital of the Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Institute for Treatment and Research (I.R.C.C.S.) of Milan.
- From 1998 to the present day: Medical Director of the Paediatric Arrhythmia Centre of the Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Institute for Treatment and Research (I.R.C.C.S.) of Milan.
- 1998 - 2007: Head of the Sub-intensive Care Unit for Cerebrovascular Diseases (Stroke Unit) and the Stroke Rehabilitation Day Hospital of the Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Institute for Treatment and Research (I.R.C.C.S.) of Milan.
- 1989 - 1998: Research Fellow of the Maggiore Hospital at the Medical Clinic of the University of Milan.
- 1988 Research internship at the Department of Physiology of the State University of New York, USA.
- 1984 - 1988: Visiting Assistant Professor at the Department of Physiology of the University of Oklahoma, USA.
Managing rehabilitation activities for inpatients with cardiovascular, neurological, respiratory and orthopaedic diseases and Complex Outpatients clinic Macro-activities (MAC).
Managing hospitalisation for patients with acute internal diseases.
Paediatric arrhythmia outpatients clinic.
- From 2003 to the present day: Adjunct Professor, Postgraduate School of Cardiology, University of Pavia.
- Research work:
- The main areas of expertise are represented by primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular diseases; arrhythmogenic diseases, in particular, the long QT syndrome; the relationship between the autonomic nervous system and lethal arrhythmias; the effects of gender and sex on cardiovascular diseases; the risk of stroke in atrial fibrillation; managing the antithrombotic therapy and studying new approaches to cerebrovascular rehabilitation, which include music therapy and the use of virtual reality.
- Dr. Stramba-Badiale has participated in numerous international clinical trials on the primary and secondary prevention of stroke and on treating the acute phase. He has received research financing from the National Institutes of Health (USA), from the European commission and from the Italian Ministry of Health.
- Dr. Stramba-Badiale has been invited to participate in international congresses as a speaker and moderator, he is a reviewer of the principal cardiology scientific journals and is the author of more than 100 publications, books or book chapters.
- “Cluster Nazionale Tecnologie per gli Ambienti di Vita” (Cluster National Technologies for Life Environments) that includes Institutes for Treatment and Research (IRCCS) (Auxologico and INRCA Ancona), University Institutes (Milan Polytechnic and the Marche Polytechnic), the National Research Council (CNR) in the various national headquarters.
- Department of Cardiology, S. Matteo Polyclinic Foundation, Institute for Treatment and Research (IRCCS), Pavia, Italy.
- Department of Clinical Medicine and Prevention, University of Milan-Bicocca.
- Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Hatter Institute for Cardiovascular Research, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, South Africa.
- King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- European Society of Cardiology, Sophia Antipolis, France.
- European Heart Network, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2004 Outstanding Research Award in Pediatric Cardiology of the American Heart Association.
- 2007 Outstanding Research Award in Pediatric Cardiology of the American Heart Association.