Dr. Fulvio Bergamini
ACADEMIC STUDIES AND AREAS OF SPECIALISATION:
- Secondary School Diploma in Classical Studies.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery received on 4th September 1978 (with the following mark: 110/110 cum laude), gained at the University of Milan.
- Professional qualification to practice gained on November 1978 awarded with full marks.
- Registered with the Order of Doctors, Surgeons and Dentists of Milan from January 1979 at No. 18898.
- Specialisation in Ophthalmology received on 5th July 1982, gained at the University of Pavia.
- Qualified as a consultant in ophthalmology in 1989.
- Management training course for managers of a complex structure “Leonardo” organised by the I.R. e F. Health Management School in collaboration with Milan Polytechnic. November 2000/March 2001.
TRAINING AND CAREER:
- Internship at the Clinique St. Maurice of Lyon (Dr. J. Charleux) on anterior segment microsurgery, concerning new methods for Intra Ocular Lens ((IOL) implant in anterior and posterior chamber and use of viscoelastic substances (1984).
- Refresher course on the diagnosis and therapy of uveitis at the Eye Clinic of the University of Padua (Prof. A. Secchi) (1985).
- Specialisation course on use of the Yag-Laser at the Hopital Intercommunal of Creteil (Dr. Quentel) (1985).
- Internship at the Ophthalmology Unit of the Civil Hospital of La Spezia (Prof. L. Palmieri) on the most recent methods for Intra Ocular Lens (IOL) implant in the capsular bag (1987).
- Course on refractive microsurgery held by Dr. Crozafon (1988).
- Theoretical and practical courses on anterior segment microsurgery and implantology methods at the Bergamo Hospital (prof. Paganoni) and the Eye Clinic of the University of Pisa (1989).
- Theoretical and practical course on vitreoretinal surgery at the Busto Arsizio Hospital (Dr. De Casa). (1994).
WORK AND CASE HISTORIES:
- July 1980 appointed as the consultant Ophthalmologist as a private medical practitioner at the San Paolo Hospital Multi-field Medical Centre - Milan.
- Temporary assignment as Ophthalmology Deputy Medical Assistant at the San Paolo Hospital Multi-field Medical Centre - Milan.
- June 1985 Ophthalmology staff Medical Assistant at the San Paolo Hospital Multi-field Medical Centre - Milan.
- 1981-1986 in service at the “Sacra Famiglia” Area General Hospital of Erba, as the Consultant Ophthalmologist, performing surgical, outpatients clinic and accident and emergency unit activities.
- 1984-1988 University Aid at the III Chair of Clinical Ophthalmology, directed by Prof. N. Orzalesi; head of the external clinic, the glaucoma prevention and therapy service and organisation of surgical activities.
- 1990 winner of the Ophthalmologist Aid competitive examination at the “Istituti Clinici di Perfezionamento” (Advanced Clinical Institutions) – Milan; head of the paediatric ophthalmology service, the fluorescein angiography and laser therapy service.
- 01.05.1993 - 31.08.1994: Acting Head Physician of the Ophthalmology Division of the “Istituti Clinici di Perfezionamento” (Advanced Clinical Institutions) – Milan.
- 20.11.1995 - 31.12.1997: Acting Head Physician of the Ophthalmology Division at the Caduti Bollatesi Hospital - Bollate.
- 01.01.1998 - 31.10.2010: Medical Director of the Ophthalmology Unit at the San Giuseppe Hospital – Milan.
- 01.11.2010 to the present day: Medical Director of the Ophthalmology Unit at the Istituto Auxologico Italiano - Milan.
RESEARCH WORK AND PUBLICATIONS:
Publications in Italian and foreign journals
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION:
- Reviewer of new publications in the Ophthalmology sector for the International Surgery journal.
- 2005-2007 a member of the “Comitato Strategico per il Welfare” (Strategic Committee for Welfare) of the Lombardy Region Department of Health.
- A member of the Italian Society of Ophthalmology.
- 01.08.1980 - 31.07.1981: winner of a scholarship to refine anterior segment surgery at the Second Division of Ophthalmology of the Fatebenefratelli-Ophthalmic Institution - Milan.
- 1987 winner of the Cattaneo award organised by the Lombard Society of Ophthalmology for the work entitled “Confronto tra diverse sostanze viscoelastiche nella chirurgia per impianto di lenti intraoculari” (Comparison among various viscoelastic substances in surgery for intraocular lens implantation).